Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Beach Vacation Keepsake

Last month we had our first official family vacation.  It was actually our second trip to Florida as a family, but last time we were travelling and visiting with lots of other friends and family (being as it was for our wedding!).  This time it was just the four of us!



I knew going down there that I wanted to make one of these jars, so I planned ahead and packed some Ziploc bags for the sand and shells we collected on the beach.  The kids were super excited about bringing home sand and would have filled a five gallon bucket if I'd have allowed it!  


I picked up a simple postcard to use as the backdrop of our beach vacation jar from a souvenir shop while we were on vacation.  I wrote the dates of our trip on the back and tucked the key card from our hotel behind it too!  The only other thing I had to buy for the project was the jar, so in total, this little keepsake cost less than $5 to make!


Once I put the postcard in (it had to be trimmed up a little), I started spooning in the sand and topped it off with the seashells and a few pieces of seaweed that ended up in the sand we'd collected.  After closing it up, I tied a piece of twine around the lid for a little something extra.  The "tag" attached to it is actually the bottom section of the parking pass we were given from the hotel! 


It now has a nice little home on the mantel beside the sand unity vase we made at our wedding.  A little bit of the gulf coast in our home!  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment